Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Top 30: Games #(30-26)

30) Contra 4 (Nintendo DS)
There was an odd period of time for Contra fans where these games weren't making sense. After Contra 3, Konami had a hard time putting the Contra formula in 3D. They tried different perspectives, and different camera angles. But the games weren't as fun anymore. It got to the point where they had Contra soldiers swimming in space in their underwear...TIME OUT!

Konami allowed a cult-favorite developer called WayForward to make the next Contra game. A decision that proved to be absolutely fantastic! Just like a boomerang from the outback, WayForward brought Contra back to its roots with Contra 4. This glorious return had everything Contra fans could appreciate. Frantic action! Giant aliens! The return of favorite characters! Blisteringly-hard difficulty! And more! The game had 2 screen's worth of action, and a special grappling hook that could switch players from top-to-bottom, and back again. The rock-solid gameplay and unique innovations made this one of the best Contra games ever made. Some particular things I appreciated was the ability to collect 2 of the same gun power-ups to make an upgraded version, as well as the inclusion of the first 2 Contra games. The only things I didn't like about Contra 4 was the small empty space between screens, since it created a gap where sneaky enemy bullets could disappear and kill you. As such, Contra 4 could not prove itself better than its older siblings. But the way it referenced games from the past, and provided classic gameplay fueled by fanservice blast Contra 4 into the first spot on my list.

29) Minecraft (PC)
Is there much of a need to introduce this game? I don't think so. Minecraft took over the gaming world in a way that was so hard to believe. You mean to tell me that a game with no gameplay goals, blocky graphics, poor physics, several glitches went on to sell over a million copies...in alpha?! Who would have seen that coming? I didn't. You couldn't even tell that to a person. They wouldn't believe you. That doesn't happen. Except it did...with little ol' Minecraft. It got the internet talking! Nearly everyone liked it! Yet I wasn't interested. That is, until me and my friend made a deal. His half of the deal was buying and playing Fallout 3 (something he had pointlessly resisted to do up until that point). And my half...was to buy Minecraft.

I purchased my beta copy of Minecraft a little after the first wave of hype had died down. I was happy to enjoy the knowledge people had already discovered. My game experience was modest, yet compelling...up to a point. To the disappointment of my friends and family, the little Minecraft seed in my heart didn't grow very large. (What? Yes, my friends AND family. You thought I was kidding when I said everyone liked this game?) To be blunt: I thought Minecraft was kind of boring. I still do. Without any in-game reason to build, collect, discover, or explore, Minecraft seemed kind of dull to me. What's the point of finding diamonds? Building a giant 8-bit statue takes too long. Why grow bamboo? It didn't make sense to me. It wasn't fun. I don't have a problem with people who love the freedom and creativity that Minecraft provides. But it just doesn't work for me. However, that won't stop me from putting it on this list. For the impact the game made, and for its revolutionary features, Minecraft is a memorable gem.

28) Mariokart DS
Coming from a disappointing sequel from the Game Boy Advance, the next Mariokart on a handheld console took a huge step forward with this title on the Nintendo DS. The track design was fun. There were more characters then ever, and they each came with 3 of their own special cars to race in! There special missions, and many character+car combos to discover. Best of all, multiplayer blew up on steriods! Not only was there wireless local play, and tense balloon battles. For the first time, Mariokart players could play with each other all across the world, thanks to online play! This was a dream come true for racers like me. Mariokart DS set the standard for the next games to come. It may have been a little slow, and it did have a problem with cheaters who used the snaking technique. But that doesn't stop Mariokart DS from taking a place on my list.

27) Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360)
The first Mass Effect was a good effort from developer Bioware at creating a brand new, fully-realized universe in space. Yet it suffered from some rough gameplay, and time-consuming resource management. But there was a call to the future. The game's loading screens told us that we could take the character we had created and used to beat the entire game, and transfer him/her to the (apparently) inevitable sequel. This was a special kind of promise, because very few games had ever done that before, if ever. Mass Effect 2 delivered on that promise without a single problem. Such a delivery would be appreciated by gamers for years to come.

Mass Effect 2 took the gameplay from ME1 and polished it to a bright, satisfying, orange-colored gloss. Main character Shepard didn't move like a wheelbarrow anymore, biotic powers had more tangible, beneficial effects, and the clunky Mako was replaced with the fast and sleek Hammerhead. Best of all, the story was absolutely fantastic! We met new characters that were sensational, enduring and completely loveable. Alongside fan favorites like Garrus and Tali, we were introduced to Mordin, Grunt, Legion, and more. There were other memorable side-characters as well, along with the Illusive Man, the suave and intelligent man-behind-the-curtain. The game was long, exciting, compelling, and very fun in general. The ending was a special highlight of the game because of its high stakes, and rewarding payoff. The biggest problem it had was the slow and boring mining that was required for in-game resources. A problem that was somewhat fixed with an update. Mass Effect 2 was everything a sequel should be, and it made very few cuts to get there.

26) Super Meat Boy (Xbox 360)
Did you ever eat some candy that hurt your tongue? You would take a piece, eat it, and irritate a bump on your tongue over and over. The pain came back over and over, but you didn't want to stop because your candy was delicious. Eventually, you had to put the wrapper down and take a break, because M&M's hurt my mouth! Oh, wait, did I just say that out loud? What I meant to say was: Super Meat Boy is made out of candy! No! Dang it! I'm trying to say that this game was painful, but irresistible.

Meat Boy had great controls, and splendid level design. Every stage had a simple goal to jump to, but made it frustratingly difficult to reach. Some levels required dozens, or even hundreds of retries to complete. This game invoked a rage inside me that was worse then a bear with a trap on its butt! Yet I returned again and again because I knew I could beat that level, and the next one, and the next one...can you give me some M&Ms? I ate all of mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment