Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Top 30's Disclaimer

Before I reveal what my top 30 games are, let me clarify a few things. (Read the bold if you want a shortcut. But you might miss something important...)

Keep this in mind: this list does NOT necessarily go in order. For example, I do not necessarily consider random game #24 better than random game #16. On the other hand, my list is not totally random. To give you an idea on how it works, lets just say that games #1-5 are the favorites of my favorites. Then, all of the other games on my list come after that. I like games #6-30 for different reasons, and it isn't good to directly compare them to one another. Sort of like apples and oranges, you know? So yeah, first comes 1-5, then everything else. Got it?

Ok, now let me explain how I justify a game being on this list. For one thing, the game has to be objectively good. That's based on things we can all experience like graphics, sound, controls, amount of content, etc. For another thing, the game has to mean something to me. Each game must be subjectively good. It should relate to my past memories, and good experiences I've had.

Going along with the above, Let me explain something to you. Back in 2010, I made a list of 50 of my all-time favorite games. There were several games on that list that came from generation 7. Since I didn't want to write about those same games once again, I didn't put some games on this new list that totally deserve it. To be clear on this point, I will put a small list of games at the bottom of this disclaimer to demonstrate which games couldn't be put on this list.

This connects to a hidden purpose of this list: I'm going to use this list as a sort-of extension of my first list. It was impossible for me to put games like Skyrim on a list made in 2010. I can't do those sort of things, I'm not a Time Lord. Keep in mind that some of these games on my top 30 list deserve to be on my top 50 list! But I can't change what I wrote, so I'm putting it in here.

Also, as I explained in the announcement, no games from the Playstation 3 or the Playstation Portable will be on this list. I've owned both systems, and neither game had anything worthy of this list. I'm going to picture myself in 5 years. By then, I'm most likely going to forget every single game I played on a generation 7 Sony system. That's just how things turned out. Don't blame me, blame Sony. It's not my fault they dropped the ball this gen.

To go along with that, please remember that I couldn't put every game I ever liked on here. You're going to look at my list, and you're probably gonna think I'm missing something. Let me assure you, I gave this list a couple of days worth of thought. I even looked through complete lists of hundreds of games, just to make sure I didn't forget anything important. I did not miss any games. If a game is not on the list, I haven't played it, or it doesn't deserve to be on the list, in my opinion. Remember, this is a list of favorites, instead of a list of the “best” games ever. So, if you want to take my list personally, for some reason...umm...don't. It's my list, and this is how it's arranged. My choices nothing to do with you, just with me, and my preferences/tastes. However, if enough people start bringing up enough games, I'm sure I can create a list of honorable mentions at some point.

This list has games from Nintendo and games from the Xbox. I have racing games, fighting games, puzzle games, and a lot of platforming games (haha). There's tons of variety, and as little system-based bias as possible. There's no secret agenda, no hidden meanings, nothing. With that in mind, don't start calling me a fanboy of such and such. I didn't make a list based on fanboyism, just my unofficial and humble opinion.

Finally, this list will have some spoilers. In order to talk about these games properly, and what I love about them I need to talk about each and every part of the game. So yeah, spoiler alert, and what not. I'll try to keep them to a minimum.

And so, without further ado, please enjoy my list of My Top 30 favorite video games of generation 7!

Games that will not go on this list, but totally deserve it:
  • Rock Band 3
  • Halo 3
  • Bioshock
  • Borderlands
  • Bowser's Inside Story
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns
  • Left 4 Dead 2
  • Halo: Reach
  • Mario Kart Wii
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2
  • Half Life 2 + Episode 1 + Episode 2
  • Portal
  • Super Smash Bros. Brawl
  • Mega Man 10
  • Assassins Creed 2
These are the games I've already talked about in the past, and have nothing new to say about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment